Albert Blogger

Occasional bursts of information.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

life in oberlin

I've been a real professional for two months now (my two-month anniversary was last week -- December 1st) and it is still strange. I'm living where I was always a student, and I know my time here is limited (I'm only employed until July 1st), and in those ways, my life has not changed so drastically.

In other, more quotidian ways, my life has changed completely. I might take a little work home, simply because it is stuck in my head, and I'm always mentally juggling the projects that I'm working on, but I have an actual division between professional/work time and home/personal time. As a student, singing/academics/work all happened any time. Weekends were time to actually get stuff done - rehearsals, papers, reading, work - and now, weekends are mine. They are still time to get stuff done, but it's stuff like buying groceries & doing my ironing.

This is boring, but it is new. And since I don't have a solid group of friends (like I did in years 1-4 here) the free time can get a little strange. I'm not totally alone, by any means, but I don't have a community/network of friends. I have a friend here, a few friends there, and they total seven at the moment (counting close friends and newer friends).

The major exception to this solidarity is my adoption of two abandoned kittens, who I have dubbed Bulleit and Basil. They are brothers, they are almost entirely identical, and they are named after bourbons. Basil is more cuddly that Bulleit sometimes, but they both alternate between gobs of energy and napping.

Here they are on my bed:

(That's Bulleit lying down, Basil sitting up. And lying on his stomach behind Bulleit is Albert, for whom this blog is named.)

They were abandoned along with two other litter-mates outside of the local vet. A community organization that spays & neuters feral cats also raises abandoned kittens. I'm looking forward to spending the next 10-15 years hanging out with them. I've wanted animals to hang out with for a long time.

Here are more pictures of the cats.

(That's Bulleit. More white on his nose than Basil.)


(I think this is Basil. Nose seems more orange.)

Those are my cats. Over & out.