Albert Blogger

Occasional bursts of information.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Not dead! Just bad at blogging!

Highlights, in no particular order, since my last post:

1. Graduated from Oberlin on my dad's 52nd birthday, wearing a pretty orange dress.


2. Sang a role in a mainstage opera at Oberlin - Poppea in L'incoronazione di Poppea - and learned that Monteverdi is a genius, and that singing with the continuo is a delight.


3. Went on a three week roadtrip with KRay, crossing the Western United States. Major stops: Colorado Springs/Denver, Aspen, Ely (rhymes with 'freely'), NV, learning to drive stick through a 3 hour traffic jam, and San Francisco! Kevin headed down to LA after a couple of nights at Solon's house, and I stayed a few more, switched to Palo Alto to see the co-op folks, and headed back up to Oakland to hang out with Aaron and my dad. Saw the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the SF MOMA, and was moved.

4. Joined the Student Senate of Oberlin College, and became the Liaison somewhat accidentally. It was a lovely group of people, waaaaay too interested in correct process and arguing. But I got to help influence Oberlin policy, and meet a very different group of people than my friends in the Con. Plus, I got to hang out with President Krislov.
(Receiving a couple of diplomas from Krislov)


5. Discovered that I was incapable of feeding myself well at Oberlin. Every time I ate at Gwen's house, it was delicious. The simplest things: edamame with soy sauce and lemon juice. Pan-seared tuna with more lemon juice and other things. Pasta with fresh marinara sauce and such good cheeses. I can't remember all of the dishes, but it was always, always wonderful.

6. Bought Gwen a three foot tall plush border collie for her birthday, and presented her with it (a big red bow around its neck) at our Glaciology midterm. This helped inspire Gwen to earn a 97% on the midterm (maybe our frantic studying helped. nunataks!!) and consider a future career as cellist-glaciologist.

7. Became a much more avid fan of comic books, with much gratitude to Avery for the introduction. Highlights of the year: Goodbye, Chunky Rice (kudos to Anna L. for recommending that one), Criminal, the Umbrella Academy, to name a few.

8. Went to Wall-E opening night in San Francisco with Solon, Jen, and Gabe. Still can't believe how wonderful the first 45 minutes are.

9. Went to Charlottesville, VA for Spring Break at Avery's parents' house. Rode with another Obie to DC, then met Avery's folks at the airport where he was flying in. Slept a lot, saw some touristy stuff, and every time Avery took me to a restaraunt, I ended up exclaiming about it. (Soup Revolution! Splendora's! The Tea Bazaar! That fancy place!)

10. Bonded with the dogs (Harper and Malto) during my summer of ... nothing? travelling? waiting to see if jobs came through? I'm going to miss the puppies a whole lot when I move out.


11. Went on an Alaskan cruise, realized that Leo is one of my favorite people (and not just because I'm infatuated with Oliver), zip-lined through the rainforest, saw a couple of MASSIVE glaciers, ate a fair amount, and discovered that I absolutely love saunas.

12. Hung out with Nina a lot over the summer. Watched SO MUCH ALIAS! I am a much more avid consumer of good TV than before -- thanks to Avery -- and have watched many, many hours of Alias, cheering on Jennifer Garner for the first three seasons, then becoming more and more sad during the fourth season, and finally skipping from the first to the final episode of season five. It's just so painful to watch something go to hell like that, even if you've been warned that it's all going downhill, and not to watch, but you have to. And Nina and I watched seasons 1-3 of House, too, to my dad's chagrin. (He loves Hugh Laurie in Jeeves & Wooster, and hates medical dramas, and hates House.)

13. Read the Twilight books, and briefly became obsessed with the fate of humans, vampires, and werewolves. Not fine literature, by any stretch of the imagination, but indulgent and wonderful like certain TV shows above.

14. Went to the Experience Music Project and SciFi Hall of Fame in Seattle. Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player to ever have lived, and robots are amazing.

15. Finally went to Drag Ball! Put a lot of effort into Avery's outfit. Had a blast, saw some really good drag, tried not to smile with my teeth so as to avoid looking too girly. Didn't really succeed, but it was still fun.
Me and Avery


16. Going to Mexico tomorrow!