Albert Blogger

Occasional bursts of information.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

boring post

Things that have been keeping me occupied lately:
1. Reading back through the archives of dooce.com. I'm presently at 11.08.02. I keep track on a sticky note at my desk. Heather Armstrong was a crazy MOFO, and she and Jon are just getting ready to move back to Utah. Crazy!

2. Figuring out what to wear to work. I'm motivated partially out of a desire to look fantastic and partially out of requirement to look professional. This means some days I look fantastic and some days I'm scraping by as professional. For this office, normal dress for women seems to mean slacks or skirts with nice shoes (heels or flats) with a sweater, button down shirt, or some other kind of top. The other woman in the office has great style and I'm still playing with what can work. Today I'm wearing a plain black jersey short-sleeved dress with dark green leather flats and a scarf. This is about the laziest outfit I own — totally comfy and no-ironing required. Although this is something I spend more time thinking about than I'm comfortable with, I'm finding it epically boring to write about. Can't imagine reading it. I'm going to think about ways to make writing about my clothes more interesting.

3. I've been reading more since finishing Infinite Jest. I followed it with a book of (unbeknownst to me) short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri, Unaccustomed Earth. (I finished the first chapter (story!) and kept waiting during the second chapter (story!) for the characters to even vaguely connect. After the second chapter (story) didn't at all, I realized that I was an idiot.) That was a rough transition (Foster Wallace to Lahiri): she uses so many adjectives, and is so concerned with feeling and identity, whereas IJ used whole scenes to convey meaning and didn't rely on adjectives in the same way. Rather, Lahiri's language is flowery as shit, and Foster Wallace's is economical to the T. I finished Unaccustomed Earth and am now reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera. I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude and have not yet formed an opinion on this one.

TONIGHT: pumpkin carving at the Tillboig'z house following by totally getting over this cold.