Albert Blogger

Occasional bursts of information.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Chance Creek & Last Night's Poptart

There is a part of the Vermilion River called Chance Creek, & when it is warm, there is a perfect spot for swimming. Today was gorgeous, unseemly weather for the 12th of January. So Kevin, Jordan, & I went to the creek. Kevin is a master stone-skipper, and Jordan is pretty damn good, too. Jordan & an old friend developed a rock throwing game whose goal was to create as little splash as possible. Jordan was very good at it; I was not.

Last night I pressed play for Peter Sellars' Cosi fan tutte (by Mozart). Rather than being set in 18th century Italy, it was set in a 1980's coastal diner. The singing was not great, but the concept was interesting. The music is incredible, but there is virtually no character development. It makes for great listening, but sometimes painful watching. There were also a lot of choreography of arms gestures, as well as dancing around. The dancing around was more convincing than the hand gestures.

I got back from Cosi & decided to have a poptart. I put the poptarts in the less than functional toaster we have, which burns on any setting above 1. It was on 4, & when it started to smell like burning, I unpluged it & dumped the poptarts out. It turns out the heat of the toaster turned the sugery inside into molten lava, so when I moved one of the poptarts, it burned my finger. My immediate reaction was to put my finger in my mouth & suck the sugar off, but in the process of doing this I both burnt my tongue and bit the blister that immediately formed. So now I have a ridiculous looking blister on my right middle finger, with indents from my teeth. I hurt a lot for the next hour, but I found some burn salve in the kitchen first aid box. Today it is fine, and just looks funny.

And today I finally opened a local checking account! Yippee! I picked the most boring design for the checks that I could find. I certainly wasn't interested in tye-dye, rainbows, or little kids on bicycles. Lame-o.