Albert Blogger

Occasional bursts of information.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Franny & Zooey & Poulenc

Despite Mr. Beisser's suggestion that reading Franny & Zooey should be a one-night love affair, I took several days to finish it. The ending of the book is very beautiful, and my several-day love affiar was quite wonderful.
I have tried to read the Catcher in the Rye seveal times, to no avail. Holden Caulfield has always annoyed me. Somehow Franny & Zooey did not. I think I cared more for the book in the beginning because Salinger began with Franny, and didn't get to the ranting, raving Zooey until later in the book. Once I'm good & interested in the characters, an author has me. I have other Salinger that I've been meaning to read. Perhaps 9 Stories will happen next.

I'm listening to Dialogues de les Carmelites. I picked up my chorus score this afternoon. I think being a nun will be wonderful, and that quite a bit of my singing will be in liturgical Latin. Oh, I love Poulenc's choral music. It will be interesting to finally be an observer & slight participant in the interpersonal dynamics of an opera cast. I think many of the people involved are fairly balanced & stable, but it will be interesting nonetheless.