Albert Blogger

Occasional bursts of information.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Book & Movie

Yesterday I listened to 'Bel Canto' by Ann Patchett while driving to Chesterland, OH. It was very cleanly written, and a good story. I think that perhaps the author has been in love with a soprano in her life; her descriptions of the power of Roxanne Coss's singing were insane. Roxanne Coss was one of many people taken hostage at a party in a South American country for a Japanese businessman. The standoff between the government & the terrorists lasted over 4 months. In that time, strong relationships formed between all of the people in the house. The actress who read the story did a great job with all the accents, which were most often Spanish, Russian, French, Japanese, and Soprano.
I think I'll read her other books.

I'm in John's house now. We went to 'Broken Flowers' by Jim Jarmusch today. Bill Murray was very lovely, and the movie was very beautiful. Very strange, and kind of silly at times, too. It did not particularly conclude.